WeMove Europe is an independent and values-based organisation that seeks to build people power to transform Europe in the name of our community, future generations and the planet.
To European governments, parliaments and EU institutions
Pull out of the Energy Charter Treaty and stop its expansion to other countries! The treaty allows coal, oil and gas corporations to obstruct the transition to a clean energy system. Disarm fossil fuel firms now, so they can no longer impede urgent climate action!
Why is this important?
We’re paying massive fines to fossil fuel companies. Europeans could end up paying over 7 billion euro to oil, gas and coal companies for taking climate action. 
- Oil and gas company Rockhopper is demanding 260 million euro from the Italians for banning new oil fields on its coast.
- Ascent wants 120 million from Slovenian taxpayers for prioritising the environment over gas fracking.
- Vattenfall sued the German people for €4.3 billion when it decided to phase out nuclear power.
- And the Dutch people are set to pay 2.4 billion euros to RWE and Uniper for phasing out coal! 
The time to avoid a climate catastrophe is quickly running out.  But fossil fuel companies are holding our governments hostage through the threat of being sued for extortionate fines. They are blocking our governments from making the decisions we need to save our climate.
This toxic fossil fuel treaty - officially called the Energy Charter Treaty - is a blast from the past, from a period when governments were in climate denial.  Yet, fossil fuel companies are clinging to it for dear life because it means they can protect their profits.
But protecting profits means suing governments who dare put people and planet first. When they win, governments have to pay compensation with our public money. Public money that could go to green investments, education and hospitals instead of continuing to line the pockets of the biggest polluters.
But we are gaining ground from the big polluters. Italy has already ended its membership of this toxic treaty, European Parliamentarians support our call and now it is up to our countries to choose a side. But for this to happen, our energy ministers need to hear our personal messages on why we care.
- Oil and gas company Rockhopper is demanding 260 million euro from the Italians for banning new oil fields on its coast. Ascent wants 120 million from Slovenian taxpayers for prioritising the environment over gas fracking. Vattenfall sued the German people for €4.3 billion when it decided to phase out nuclear. And the Dutch people are set to pay 2.4 billion euros to RWE and Uniper for phasing out coal!
- This toxic fossil fuel treaty is called the Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) https://friendsoftheearth.eu/news/how-the-energy-charter-treaty-derails-climate-action/
In partnership with:
On Tuesday, our ministers have the chance to vote down a major threat to our climate: the toxic fossil fuel treaty called the ECT (Energy Charter Treaty). They need to know that citizens across Europe are watching them make this historic vote.
And we have the key to getting our message across: Twitter. Ministers always pay attention to Twitter, often even checking it on their phones when they’re in meetings.
One country under immense pressure from the fossil fuel lobbyists is Denmark. We need a wave of pressure from across Europe to get Denmark on our side. Tweet at the Danish Energy Minister in charge of this toxic fossil fuel treaty and tell him to vote down the ECT!
Send a tweet
Mail To European governments, parliaments and EU institutions
Please can you chip in?
Thank you for making our win against the toxic fossil fuel treaty possible.
Through years of keeping up the pressure we changed the direction of this treaty and with it the course of history. It’s by staying in this fight that we got this win. This is what we will keep doing.
Will you chip in to secure the resources we need to power more wins like this?
Donate now and consider making a recurring contribution to help WeMove Europe’s work all year!
Other ways of giving
You can transfer your donation to our bank account
Please include your email address as payment reference
WeMove Europe SCE mbH
IBAN: DE98 4306 0967 1177 7069 00
BIC: GENODEM1GLS, GLS Bank
Thank you for joining the revolt against the inordinate power of the fossil fuel industries. The more we sign this appeal, the stronger we will be against them!