Ursula von der Leyen (President of the European Commission), Charles Michel (President of the European Council) and David Sassoli (President of the European Parliament)
Given the worrisome response of Greece and Europe on the Greece-Turkey border, we call on you to:
- Ensure humanitarian assistance is provided to all those in need
- Refrain immediately from the use of violence
- Reinstate the internationally recognised right to seek asylum and the principle of non-refoulement that are also emphasised in EU law
Why is this important?
Greek police are firing teargas and smoke grenades at hundreds of people on the Turkey-Greek border fleeing war and poverty.  Yesterday, a child died after a boat capsized off the Greek island of Lesbos. 
Rather than protect people, all three Presidents of the EU institutions support Greece in their blatant disregard of international law -- for using violence, and suspending asylum applications. 
Not only are they supporting Greece’s illegal efforts to close borders, they intend to strengthen these acts and send additional forces from Europe’s border police, Frontex.
Sign to tell them that we will not stand for this. They alone do not make up Europe. We do. And the Europe we want is one that protects people and puts humanity first. We stand united in condemning all forms of violence against any human being.
- https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/greece-turkey-refugee-crisis-tear-gas-police-border-a9366456.html; https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/tensions-rise-between-turkey-and-russia-after-killing-of-troops-in-syria
- https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1233828575029186567 ; https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1234188948735430656
All three Presidents of the EU institutions will be at the Greek-Turkish border to support Greece in their blatant disregard of international law -- for using violence and suspending asylum applications.
But they alone do not make up Europe. We do. Send them a tweet to let them know that the Europe we want is one that protects people and puts humanity first.
Send a tweet
Please can you chip in?
To stay independent, we are very careful about who we accept money from - but impactful campaigns need funding, so we need your help!
Can you donate just a few euros a month to help our community continue fighting for a Europe that puts humanity first?
Other ways of giving
You can transfer your donation to our bank account
WeMove Europe SCE mbH
IBAN: DE98 4306 0967 1177 7069 00
BIC: GENODEM1GLS, GLS Bank
Thank you for adding your voice to provide humanitarian assistance to those in need.