WeMove Europe is an independent and values-based organisation that seeks to build people power to transform Europe in the name of our community, future generations and the planet.
To Ursula von der Leyen, President of the EU Commission, Mairead McGuinness, Commissioner for Financial services, Financial Stability and Capital Markets Union, and Members of the European Parliament
Europe must reach its 2030 and 2050 climate targets as well as ensure its energy independence. This means the European Union must not consider fossil gas and nuclear power as “green” investments. Please veto the European Commission's Complementary Climate Taxonomy Delegated Act.
Why is this important?
Europe is making new rules that will define what a green investment is. It’s called the Taxonomy – and it is huge because it means billions could flow into renewables like solar and wind. The critical cash boost we need to build renewable projects in the short time we have to contain climate chaos.
Unfortunately, fossil fuels and nuclear industries are getting their way. They got nuclear and gas labelled as green investments in the draft proposal.
If they win, they will get billions for their dirty energy projects – instead of funding the renewable future we need. Dirty gas projects would be built across Europe. We would be locked into dirty emissions and pollution for years. New nuclear projects would leave our children to manage toxic waste and would not be built in time to help us reduce emissions. 
The European Parliament can put a stop to this disaster. But we need to convince enough MEPs to reject the demands of fossil fuel companies. A massive petition signed by the very people these MEPs are elected to represent could swing the vote. Sign now and join the call for MEPs to back funding renewables over dirty fuel projects.
- According to the International Energy Agency, the world needs to stop all investment in new coal, gas and oil projects from 2021 onwards in order to eliminating global greenhouse emissions by 2050 and keep global temperatures from rising more than 1.5°C. https://www.iea.org/reports/net-zero-by-2050
- You can find more information on why gas is just another dirty fossil fuel and why nuclear power is not the solution for the decarbonisation of our societies
In partnership with:
There is no way to sugarcoat it - this is not the result we wanted. But thanks to our pressure, the result has been really tight - this means we can still call on the politicians behind this plan to reconsider.
The President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen and the Commissioner for Financial Services, Mairead McGuinness have been essential in pushing through a green label for gas and nuclear.
The tight results of the vote already amount to a loss for them. Naming and shaming them publicly now could be the final twist!
This is important because:
- They would be held accountable for their prioritising of corporate interests before citizens’ interests.
- If our shaming pressure is big enough, they might even consider going back to the drawing board and review this green label for gas and nuclear.
- We will send them a strong message that we are watching and that we won’t let me give priority to fossil gas and toxic nuclear in upcoming pieces of legislation.
Get heard, take action now!
Send a tweet
Please can you chip in?
The vote result in the European Parliament leaves these politicians in a difficult position. They do not have the legitimacy to push forward the way they thought they would. So the show is not over.
We might not have won but there may still be some opportunities to switch things around. We need to regroup and work out how to keep up this fight – and for that purpose, we need resources.
But WeMove Europe does not take a single cent from corporations, governments or political groups. It’s the energy and euros of supporters like you that makes everything happen.
So, will you join the thousands of donors who already support us and chip in a little now? You can use the secure donation form here.
Other ways of giving
You can transfer your donation to our bank account
Please include your email address as payment reference
WeMove Europe SCE mbH
IBAN: DE98 4306 0967 1177 7069 00
BIC: GENODEM1GLS, GLS Bank