To Members of the European Parliament
We call upon EU and national leaders to tackle the unprecedented crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic with solidarity, courage and innovation.
We do not want a return to business as usual, to an economic model which has exacerbated social inequalities, jeopardised our health, and driven our planet’s climate and nature to the brink of collapse. Instead, now is the time to radically and rapidly make our economies greener, fairer, and more resilient to future shocks.
We demand the establishment of the biggest green investment programme the world has ever seen - backed up by all available EU financial tools to finance a recovery that is green and just.
Why is this important?
Europeans are aware of what the recovery package is and the potential impact it could have on their lives, economies and society.
Hundreds of thousands across the European Union have moved from awareness to action, in the understanding that this is a rare and unique opportunity to turn crisis into transformation.
The billions of euros that will be made available for EU countries to invest their way out of this deep economic crisis, could mark a turning point if invested wisely.
Investing in fossil fuels, and that includes gas, is not wise. It’s not reasonable. It means anchoring our economies to a technology and a production mode that have brought us to the climate, energy, health and economic crisis we are suffering these days.
Investing recovery funds in fossil fuels would solely be in response to the heavy lobbying of those companies with deep pockets that are trying to defend their profits, even if their interest is against the interest of everyone else.
Against all odds, the European Parliament Committee on the Environment voted in favour of excluding fossil fuels, including gas, from receiving a cent of recovery funds. Europeans want to see a Council that keeps that level of ambition.
Investing in renewables will bring three times more jobs than fossil fuels. They can also be scaled up quickly, unlike pipelines. There is no reason for fossil fuels to be part of the future story of Europe or where the recovery billions go.
European people don’t have powerful lobby firms to represent their concerns - but they know what’s going on. The gas and oil industries want to grab most of the billions of euros that should instead go towards renewable energies. Engie, GRTgaz, Teréga, Naturgy, Italgas, ExxonMobil, PGNiG: these gas corporations have been busy lobbying Council leaders. 
That's why hundreds of thousands of people demand bold politics that maximize the potential of the recovery funds to leave behind an outdated economic model that is destroying the planet and creating inequality.
In partnership with:
This week’s Summit of EU leaders is key, as gas and oil industries are gearing up to grab most of the billions of euros we desperately need to recover from the COVID crisis. Mark Rutte and the heads of state of other greener countries such as Austria, Sweden and Denmark could be our voice tomorrow - but only if they see a big wave of EU wide support from citizens. Post a comment on their Facebook wall to lock fossil fuel companies out of our future!
When you click on one of the buttons, you’ll be redirected to the Facebook wall of the leader you’ve picked. The application will choose a post for you - under which you can write a comment. Feel free to write your own or to copy (and tweak if you want!) any of the examples below:
- In this week’s Summit hundreds of thousands of Europeans are calling on you to lead us towards the Europe of Tomorrow. I trust you to exclude fossil fuels from the EU Recovery Plan.
- The EP Committee on Environment has just voted to exclude fossil fuels from the COVID EU Recovery Plan. Now a cleaner and prosperous future only depends on the will of the Council. Europeans are ready. Can you say the same?
- Your French colleague, Macron, is planning to channel money from the EU Recovery Plan to fossil fuels - including gas. That’s not what your government stands for, nor what hundreds of thousands of citizens have mobilised for. Demonstrate your leadership in this week’s Summit please!
- Now it’s your chance to help Europe have a green recovery. In this week’s Summit, please be the voice of the hundreds of thousands of Europeans that are demanding fossil fuels (including gas!) don’t receive a cent of recovery money. I count on you!
- Europeans are mobilising across the continent, and this week you can be our voice at the EUCO Summit by showing leadership to block fossil fuels (including gas) from receiving any EU Recovery money
This week’s Summit of EU leaders is key, as gas and oil industries are gearing up to grab most of the billions of euros we desperately need to recover from the COVID crisis.
Mark Rutte and the heads of state of other greener countries such as Austria, Sweden and Denmark could be our voice tomorrow - but only if they see big wave of EU wide support from citizens.
Send them a tweet to lock fossil fuel companies out of our future!
Send a tweet
Thank you for standing with us in our fight for a recovery plan that puts people at its heart and makes our economies greener! It is only together that we can truly be a force to be reckoned with.