To Members of the European Parliament
We call upon EU and national leaders to tackle the unprecedented crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic with solidarity, courage and innovation.
We do not want a return to business as usual, to an economic model which has exacerbated social inequalities, jeopardised our health, and driven our planet’s climate and nature to the brink of collapse. Instead, now is the time to radically and rapidly make our economies greener, fairer, and more resilient to future shocks.
We demand the establishment of the biggest green investment programme the world has ever seen - backed up by all available EU financial tools to finance a recovery that is green and just.
Why is this important?
Europeans are aware of what the recovery package is and the potential impact it could have on their lives, economies and society.
Hundreds of thousands across the European Union have moved from awareness to action, in the understanding that this is a rare and unique opportunity to turn crisis into transformation.
The billions of euros that will be made available for EU countries to invest their way out of this deep economic crisis, could mark a turning point if invested wisely.
Investing in fossil fuels, and that includes gas, is not wise. It’s not reasonable. It means anchoring our economies to a technology and a production mode that have brought us to the climate, energy, health and economic crisis we are suffering these days.
Investing recovery funds in fossil fuels would solely be in response to the heavy lobbying of those companies with deep pockets that are trying to defend their profits, even if their interest is against the interest of everyone else.
Against all odds, the European Parliament Committee on the Environment voted in favour of excluding fossil fuels, including gas, from receiving a cent of recovery funds. Europeans want the whole European Parliament and the European Council to keep that level of ambition.
Investing in renewables will bring three times more jobs than fossil fuels. They can also be scaled up quickly, unlike pipelines. There is no reason for fossil fuels to be part of the future story of Europe or where the recovery billions go.
European people don’t have powerful lobby firms to represent their concerns - but they know what’s going on. The gas and oil industries want to grab most of the billions of euros that should instead go towards renewable energies. Engie, GRTgaz, Teréga, Naturgy, Italgas, ExxonMobil, PGNiG: these gas corporations have been busy lobbying Council leaders. 
That's why hundreds of thousands of people demand bold politics that maximize the potential of the recovery funds to leave behind an outdated economic model that is destroying the planet and creating inequality.
In partnership with:
Please can you chip in?
Thank you for taking action.
Our fight is not over. In the coming months, WeMove members will call on the European Heads of State and Government to implement the biggest green investment plan the world has ever seen.
But to have a real impact, our campaign and actions must be funded. Donate a few euros a month so that together we can build a sustainable and just future!
*Want to make a one off donation? You must untick "Become a sustaining, monthly contributor".
Other ways of giving
You can transfer your donation to our bank account
WeMove Europe SCE mbH
IBAN: DE98 4306 0967 1177 7069 00
BIC: GENODEM1GLS, GLS Bank
Join the fight for people and planet!
3 Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) can make sure our green recovery money goes towards saving the planet and our future, or they can give in to pressure from fossil fuel lobbies trying to grab billions of euros.
Let's post the faces of these MEPs all over the internet and on the streets and tell them loud and clear that we want them to reject fossil fuels. This could be exactly what they need to vote in favor of saving the planet. It only takes a few minutes to print, display and share like this:
- Pick one (or two!) posters below and print them - it’s ok if you only have B/W ink at home, or if the paper and printing aren’t of great quality
- Place it (using tape or your favourite sticky paste) in a place of your home visible to others - a window (with the image facing outwards), hanging from a balcony, or plastered somewhere in your communal space
- Take a picture of it with your mobile
- Put it up on your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc account and make sure to add the following tags (otherwise no one beyond your neighbours will notice!):
- If you print Iratxe García’s poster, @IratxeGarciaPSOE on Facebook, @IratxeGarper on Twitter
- If you print Lidia Pereira’s poster, @lidiafopereira on both Facebook and Twitter
- If you print Eider Gardiazábal’s poster, @EGardiazabal on both Facebook and Twitter
- In all cases @wemoveEU
- And if possible please add #GreenRecovery
- Addiction to fossil fuels = planet crisis, from [city]
- [MEPs tag] ¡vote for a clean future! From [city]
- [MEPs tag], you can avert a catastrophe, from [city]
- [MEPs tag], help end the era of the fossil fuel, from [city]
- [MEPs tag] follow the guidance of the Committee of the Environment, from [city]
Add a sentence of your choice to your post mentioning your city or town. If you’re not feeling creative today, pick one of these!
Thank you for standing with us in our fight for a recovery plan that puts people at its heart and makes our economies greener! It is only together that we can truly be a force to be reckoned with.